Visitors

Saturday, August 11, 2012

It's time for Rhubarb!

     Oh how I love rhubarb! Every place I lived as a child always had rhubarb growing somewhere. My grandpa always had rhubarb growing at his house too. Needless to say we had a ton. My favorite pie was strawberry rhubarb, because the strawberry always made the rhubarb less tart and much more tolerable as a kid. Now that I am an adult with a "sophisticated" palate (haha) I can appreciate its tartness. I greatly appreciate, but now it's time for experimenting and that always works best with SUGAR!
     

     One of my favorite recipes that I have made the last couple years is a Rhubarb Cream Cheese Pie. Rhubarb=YUM! Cream Cheese=DOUBLE YUM! How can you go wrong with this one???



Rhubarb Cream Cheese Pie


Filling:

3 cups or 1 package of rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
unbaked pie shell (I have tried graham cracker crust-not as good in my opinion-my favorite it to make my own crust from a box-scratch would also be yummy, of course)
2 eggs
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
another 1/2 cup sugar


Topping:
(Note the little finger marks)

1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sugar

Fill pie shell with 1/2 cup sugar mixed with diced rhubarb. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove pie and readjust oven temperature to 350 degrees. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, cream cheese, and 1/2 cup sugar. Add to rhubarb mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Mix ingredients for topping and add to pie when it comes out of the oven. Be careful...mine ALWAYS runs over. Place on a plate, foil, baking sheet, etc to keep your oven and fridge clean. Refrigerate. You can eat at any time, but refrigerating over night will keep the pie from turning to goop when you cut it. Mine is always goopy cause I can never wait. It's yummy either way! :)

That last picture is the only one I have currently. I made the mistake of taking the picture the next morning after I have let it cool over night in the fridge and my sneaky 5 year old got to it before me! I have to thank her though. It was going to my husband's office. Instead we had to keep the little finger pie for ourselves!!! Kids are hilarious :D


Now here is another recipe for Rhubarb I thought I would include since a friend was needing to cook up an abundance of it. I have not tried this yet, but it sounds good. I LOVE rhubarb so I have a feeling it will be as good as it sounds.


Rhubarb Crisp

3 cups rhubarb
1 cup sugar
3 T flour

Mix altogether-pour into 8x8 greased pan.

Combine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup margarine or shortening

Sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Use 9x13 pan if recipe is doubled. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment